The Message to Mankind: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" and the Prophet Mohammed's (PBUH) Last Sermon

I was driving home today, listening to NPR, and I realized that I have never heard Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s full "I Have a Dream" speech.  For anyone that has come to the same late-in-life realization...here it is:



We have come such a long way...but we have such a long way to keep going! This issue is prevalent in all cultures and backgrounds...when will we all just let go and live life to please God and be at ease?

Please listen to this, even if you have heard it before...it is such a good reminder of where we were as a nation and how far we have come and how much futher we need to keep striving towards.


The most beautiful part to me is that over 1400 years ago our Prophet, Prophet Mohammed Peace Be Upon Him (PBUH) said something so similar and so poignant to all times.  Here are a few excerpts from his last sermon:

"Hurt no one so that no one may hurt you. Remember that you will indeed meet your Lord, and that He will indeed reckon your deeds."
This sermon was delivered on the Ninth Day of Dhul Hijjah 10 A.H. in the 'Uranah valley of Mount Arafat' (in Mecca). This Sermon can be found in all books of Hadith.
After praising, and thanking God(Allah is the Arabic word for God) he said:

"O People, lend me an attentive ear, for I know not whether after this year, I shall ever be amongst you again. Therefore listen to what I am saying to you very carefully and take these words to those who could not be present here today...

All mankind is from *Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over black nor a black has any superiority over white except by piety and good action...

Remember, one day you will appear before *God and answer your deeds. So beware, do not stray from the path of righteousness after I am gone...

All those who listen to me shall pass on my words to others and those to others again; and may the last ones understand my words better than those who listen to me directly. Be my witness, O God, that I have conveyed your message to your people".
Do you see any similarities in the message?

Comments

Popular Posts