Women's March 2017

Today, I attended one of the hundreds of marches around the country and the world.  Although I wish I could have been in DC with millions of others, I'm happy I was able to attend one close to my university.  While I was overwhelmed by the sheer number of people at that march, I know it was dwarfed compared to some of the bigger marches around the country.  Chicago had to change their march to a rally because the turnout was so big, they couldn't actually march!  Needless to say that it was comforting to know that I am not alone, and I am accompanied by the millions of others that attended the marches, as well as those in their homes that couldn't attend, but cheer us on.  This is a collection of photos of people I met at the march.  I asked each of them to share their main motivation for attending and/or how they felt being there.  Although I wish I had been able to get in more interviews, these are all the ones I gathered.  Enjoy!  I hope the marches you attended were as amazing and inspiring as mine!

"It was a very good march, it exceeded my expectations, and I have been in marches since 1964."
Mirta, 70
"I was there to support equality for women and I felt like I was doing so being there."
Grace, 15

"I was there to support women's rights and the women in my life in the face of what America has become lately. I felt involved, like I was actually doing something."
Charlie, 15
"As a disabled American, the healthcare issue affects me most, and this is a way for me to show support with my nation against these changes."
Meghan, 32
"I feel like there's a lot to fight for in NC and in the country, so we need to make our voices heard."
Madhu, 24

"I feel like it's a civic duty, to show up and show the world what we believe in, and in this instance, we don't believe a lot of the things the president and the current congress have proposed are ok, so we need to stand up."
Alex, 24
"I just think it's important to be a part of something that's this big, to stand with everyone and to feel like you're a part of a group, to know that we're all in this, and we are the people who run this country."
Maria, 41
"It's like Michelle Obama said, when it's the first time in a long time where we feel like we don't have any hope. I'm here for myself as well as my daughter, because all the things he's proposed against Muslims, such as the bans, such as carrying ID cards are all discriminatory and they have no place in America."
Holly, 33
"I'm feeling really powerful right now, seeing so many people, women, using their voice for democracy. I've been doing this for 15 years, and it makes me very sad that we still don't have equal rights for Black America, Immigrant America, and even Female America."
Janna, 68
"The fact that America has allowed a man like Donald Trump into the White House, and it's hurtful and harmful and appalling that so many people have stood behind him despite everything that he has done."
Paige, 13
"We shouldn't have elected a president that treats women and views women in the way that he does, and it breaks my heart that it will be the first president my daughter remembers. I want us to do what we can to make things better!"
Angela, 45, and Lily, 7

Comments

Popular Posts